Sunday, March 04, 2012

'Ulu Festival near Kapoho


'Ulu is the Hawaiian name for Breadfruit. We love it! We've only eaten it a couple of times, but each time has been savory and delicious. Choke Ono.
You want to use it when it starts to ooze white sticky juice, just turning yellow, and slightly soft. I like to use it before it gets too soft.

I cut off the top, then I slice it in half.
 I cut out the core and then slice off the outer skin.
 This night I was making 'ulu fries...a new favorite! You can see from the picture below that I didn't exactly cut all of the core out. It was okay, but next time I'll do a better job of cutting the woody core out.
First I parboiled the 'ulu for 20 minutes, then I tossed it in a bowl with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Next I baked it in the oven at 375F for 30 minutes.
Sorry no finished pictures...they were gone too fast!
The taste is very similar to a garden fresh yukon gold potato, but even that description doesn't do it justice. 
Yesterday we escaped the downpour of rain at our house and headed to Kapoho...where it's normally always nice weather.

This is only one of several major "lakes" we have to cross just to get out of our subdivision. The trick is to go slooooooowwwww and hope the water doesn't kick up any rocks to take out your oil pan or worse. Our shocks get a good workout.
We met up with our good friends and enjoyed walking around the festival. We bought an 'ulu tree...dwarf variety...the non-dwarf variety can grow to be over 60' tall!
There were lots of educational demonstrations...like this one...he's pounding 'ulu for poi.


So is this guy...

There was an 'ulu buffet. We had fresh salad with baked 'ulu, a 'ulu stew, a 'ulu stir fry with yummy fiddle head ferns, some taro chips with 'ulu salsa, 'ulu poi...3 finger poi as it was a little watery, and 'ulu macaroni. It was a great deal and a great meal! There were also 'ulu pops at the festival, but we were so full from the buffet that we did not try the pops. They were made with lilikoi (passionfruit) juice.


Stella and I practiced some Hawaiian hand quilting...very fun...I think I might have found a new obsession. I haven't been to crafty here lately. My latest project has been a cross-stitch I've been working on for 2yrs! My goal is to have that one done and completed before the end of the month and to not start anything new until I get it done.

A brief shower while we were watching/listening to some local musicians.

We love our fresh coconut juice!
The boy in the center of this picture is sitting on a stool that has a wooden point. He's using that point to grind out the coconut meat.
 Machete fresh coconut!

 We all love it, especially Stella!

Afterward we headed back to our car and a swim in the ocean.




Stella and I pretended we were mermaids and we searched for dolphins to ride.
Tommy took his board out for a little surfing.
Stella did not want to get out of the water. We had to carry her out kicking and screaming.

 This is the Pohoiki Boat ramp I have mentioned before. A nice mix of really warm water and cool fresh ocean water.



3 comments:

Rachel WOlf said...

I can not. Believe. That you live in Hawaii. Whoa!!!!! It looks amazing beyond description. Missin' you!

Laura said...

Thanks Rachel! It was all that manifesting we did...I still cannot believe we are actually here. I KNOW I'd be happy if we had moved to Viroqua, and I've shed plenty of big tears about how much I miss you and all the other strong and inspiring Viroqua friends I knew so briefly. Places are lovely, but people you love make you lovely.

verdemama said...

That looks gorgeous and fun. I've never tried breadfruit before, and wow chocolate! I wish you better luck next time, but that is so Awesome that you could grow cacao where you live!!