Thursday, March 14, 2013

New Couch & Tables & Futon

We were really missing having a couch. We have been pricing futons and futon couches...ouch very expensive! About a grand just to have some comfort, so I went to the library. I found this book "How To Make 2x4 Furniture for Indoors" It had an awesome (IMHO) design for a couch with two tables that could convert to a queen size bed. It even had directions for making your own futon!
 I *cheated* and did not attempt to sew the futon cover. The price of the wood was just under $170 and the price of the denim futon cover was $65. For the futon, I bought a huge roll (108" x 25yds) of 100% wool quilt batting from Heartbeat Quilting in Washington. I used 10 layers that I cut to queen size dimensions (60" x 80") and I estimate the price to be $153 plus enough left over wool to make some very comfy pillows. The whole set was less than $400! Once the layers were cut I tied them together using my doll making needle and some sturdy string. I just tied it off in a quilt tying fashion. Then I sprinkled some lavender essential oil here and there over the wool before I zipped it up in the futon cover.
Not only is it economical, it is also the comfiest bed I have ever slept on! We did need to place a small foam pad on the bottom. I'm sure I will miss the hammock, but right now I'm loving having a **real** bed again AND a comfy couch.

1 comment:

kelly said...

very resourceful ! Love it.