Friday, October 13, 2006

Pumpkin Harvest


Last weekend we harvested most of the pumpkins from our garden. The pumpkins on the left are pie pumpkins, in the middle are the buttercup squash, and on the right are the first two jack-o-lantern pumpkins to rippen. There are more of the jack-o-lantern pumpkins in the garden, and we'll probably harvest those this weekend. I also plan to clean up the garden... remove the tomatoes, cabbage, etc., salvage what's left of the basil, and plant garlic.

My favorites from our garden this year are the garlic, red russian kale, basil, and spinach. Next year I'll plant regular cucumbers vs. the pickling cucumbers. The pickling cukes seemed a bit on the bitter side. I'll also stake the tomatoes next year. It's just too messy the way we've been doing it. I also think they'll get their own row, maybe out by the raspberries. I'll probably get more ideas this weekend, and then I have all winter to plan :-).

No comments: