Friday, November 05, 2010

Kyle's Handwork

One of the classes Kyle and I do for his school at home is handwork. It's a challenge because we generally have to wait for Stella to be asleep...otherwise the yarn gets tangled, stitches get whipped off the needles, and there is just general mayhem when she is up...not so good for concentration.
This is a comfort doll that he knit for his cousin. In the beginning I watched him do every single stitch, and by the end I just had to monitor the "pearl" stitches. Thanks to the Waldorf homeschooling forum that I belong to we had a wonderful verse to say for the "knit" stiches..."Under the fence, around the sheep, back we come, and off we leap!"
That verse helped tremendously!
We also used a watercolor painting that we had from a Language Arts block we did on Saints and Heroes this was Lady Genevieve of France...she saved the city of Paris from a warring tribe with her calmness and bravery.
Kyle sees me cross-stitching a lot and he wanted to try it out.


Cross-stitch is slow going, I'll try to post progress pictures.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Alexa loves her Kyle-doll and she snuggles up with him for naps! Kyle, you are very talented and it was so sweet of you to make the doll for Alexa! Love, Uncle Ken, Aunt Erin & Alexa

Laura said...

Thanks Ken, Erin, & Alexa,
Kyle is smiling from ear to ear! I'm glad you could post a comment ;)